Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Warming of Bear Lake


No, it is not associated with Global Warming.  It is just part of this weird year we are experiencing.  When I was on the lake two weeks ago the water temperature was 54.  I thought that things are finally starting to warm up after all the snow.  When I was out yesterday the was was 66.  I was suprised until I thought about the huge amount of water pouring in.  As the water come down the tributaries and into the Bear River it warms up during its travels.  Typically the flows of this warm water are not enough to affect the over all lake but this year is different.  It will be interesting to see how warm it gets this summer with an early start.  The photo was taken last week of the Rainbow diversion which is where the water enters the lake.

1 comment: