Saturday, October 8, 2011

Age and Birthdays

Today, since it is my birthday, I am going to talk about myself.  I was born after WWII to an Australian bride and Navy man who went back to Australia, married her an brought her to farm in Utah.  I vaguely remember birthdays as a child, don't remember my 21st birthday and since that time they have come yearly and uneventfully but in my mind I didn't age.  I remained in my early twenties acting the part for years and years.  People around me said I should grow up and I said "look how old I am now".  I thought I could do anything and was on the edge more times than not.  I never purposely exercised for exercise sake but have always be active since I can't stand to sit still.  At the time, the years seemed to pass slowly until I watched my kids grow up.  The passage of time accelerated then and I realized everything was changing but my perception of myself,  What seemed to be a couple of years ago turned into twenty year ago.  All of my old friends started to look old, but not me, or so I thought.  I could still work hard but I don't get as much accomplished as I thought I should have.  I now read obituaries and wonder why do so many people die my age.  Then I look at the "rockers" who abused their bodies beyond belief are still going .  I have been lucky.  I have peered at deathmany times but have never been in a hospital.  I guess it is because I still think I am 22 in my mind even though my carcass is 63 today.  I hope to die old in years but young at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment