Monday, March 14, 2011

Bear River


When I was a kid growing up in Cache Valley I spent a lot of time messing around on the Bear River. We fished for catfish, hunted waterfowl and pheasants, and bow hunted carp. During all that time, I only ever saw the Bear River as a turbid slough filled with cattails and garbage. In the years to come I saw the upper Bear River as it came out of the Uintas. A clear small stream headed for Evanston. After Wyoming in turned into another slow dirty old stream. I recent years I have hunted waterfowl by Grace and in the Onidea Narrows and the stream was somewhat clear and very productive with aquatic life.

Jim Stone always told me how great the fishing was in those sections but I never truly believed him. Last week we went fishing and I figured I might learn to fly fish better but that was it. To my surprise we caught fish, on little tiny flies on fly rods. There wasn't any snow along the river and it was beautiful. It was great sport and now I am a believer in fishing the Bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment