Sunday, February 16, 2014


The winter in Bear Lake this year is unpredictable.  I do believe the climate is changing but I know it is a lot more complicated than the yap on television.  I am still fascinated by the weather.  In the old days, when were didn't have computer or the internet to check on snow depths at thousand's of locations across the world, things were different.  We judged in intensity of the winter by watching the snow level on wood fence posts or trees.  We tried to factor in drifting and snow settling.  I always watched the old pole, drift fence in the Sinks just after you went over the Summit toward Logan.  When it finally was covered with snow, I figured we had a normal snow year.  Over the past forty years, it seemed that the fence would be covered but we didn't seem to have the same amount of snow.  Last fall walked down to the old structure to check it out.  Sure enough, over the years, the snow and snowmobiles had smashed it down so now it is two feet lower than in the 1970's.  Since the pole fence is no longer accurate, I now watch the metal fence posts on the lay down fence below the Franklin Basin turnoff and check NRCS Snotel stations   


 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for continuing to post here. I really enjoy your updates on Bear Lake and the surrounding areas. It is literally my only source of "Bear Lake news" during the non-summer months. A great way for me to "get away" when I can't actually be there. Hope your winter is going well. Will see you in the Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are dreaming of retiring to Bear Lake in five years. Thanks for being a window to that future!

    ReplyDelete