Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Anyone who follows me, knows I am obsessed with turkeys and spend a lot of time driving in Logan Canyon.  Today on my way back from the spring like weather in Cache Valley to the snow in the upper canyon, I passed Rick Springs and noticed something off  the side of the road.  I was astounded to see a tom turkey with the longest beard I had ever seen.  Beards are actually feathers that look like coarse hair and the length is determined by age.  How had he survived the winter up that high and what did he eat?  Only the turkey knows.  They are truly a remarkable bird.  No wonder Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey as the National Bird instead of the bald eagle.




The picture is not of the turkey I saw today.  He had a much longer beard. Too early to be strutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment