Saturday, April 30, 2011

Adaptable Birds

I have been on the road a lot lately trying to get ready for Cisco's and the summer (if there is such a thing anymore).  As I drive between Woodruff and Sage Creek Junction this time of year I always look for redtail hawk nests.  There are not many trees along the way but there must be plenty of food in the fields because there are at least four nesting sites along the way.  One nest that I have watched for years and always fledged birds finally succumbed to the elements last winter and fell to the ground.  Apparently the birds liked the area because the nested on the top of some grass bales nearby.  I appreciate the rancher who has consideration for the hawks and left the bales for them.  It is a far cry from my younger days when "chicken hawks" were shot on site.

I was talking to Loretta from Bridgerland yesterday about her birds and wildlife that she constantly feeds and she said two moose were still hanging around.  She made an interesting observation.  Apparently the magpies fly in and alight on the moose's back where they pull up old, winter hair to line their nests which they are working on now.  Sounds like we all have work to so, regardless of the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment